Saturday, April 19, 2008

Nasi Lemak

It was another bright and sunny Thursday at Faculty of Cultural Sciences. And yesterday was an oppurtinity for me to try out different kinds of food from all over the world. I am no food connoisseur but I do love food.

Many countries participated in this International Culinary Festival. There were Korea, Japan, Thailand, Madagascar, Germany and many more. And each stalls was selling their traditional food. From Australian stall, I have had a scrummy Australian brownies. Those brownies do look gorgeous, beautiful and moist on the inside. And the cookies from Spain, they had a nice crunch!

But how could I forget the delicious cuisines of my country, Malaysia. The taste of appetizing home-made egg tart, toothsome vedu and scrumptious nasi lemak really reminisced me my hometown. As a multi-racial country with her three most-populated races; Malay, Chinese and India, I have always been fascinated with the food, especially nasi lemak.

I have an unforgettable experience with nasi lemak when I was seven. Every early in the morning before going to school, my aunt Mak Lang provided us two packets of nasi lemak. She used to sell nasi lemak during those days. And her nasi lemak was delicacy!

Teacher asked us to place all the food on the special table at the back of the class. We just can have it only during recess time. One day, after hours of tiring classes, we hurriedly rushed to the table to get our yummy nasi lemak. Surprisingly, we could not find our food. We were so sad but did not know what to do. So we went to the school canteen and bought keropok lekor and drinks. Few minutes before the bell rang, a girl came to us and handed us a plastic with one nasi lemak inside and said, "Sorry, I mistook your nasi lemak, I thought it was mine"

I looked at my cousin. And, we did not say a word. Are you serious?

10 comments:

Vernon Kedit said...

Kuden.

Your level of proficiency in writing English is very high. Seriously. Your grammar (especially tenses) may need some work but you are already at a level that I would say is GOOD for a non-English speaker.

I am so proud of you.

Kurt Kuden said...

Vern, thank you very much for a very nice comment! It means a lot.

Yup, my grammar is so flawful! I think I should read English a lot.

Hehe, by the way sorry for late inform. To be honest, I feel inferior to let you read my English. :P

once again, thank you very much! I really appreciate it

steve on the slow train said...

Kurt, I second Mr. Manager. And just a couple of quick corrections on your header--it should be "itches" rather than "iches." And also "fill (not fills) what's empty.

By the way, are you familiar with the Malaysian singer Pete Teo? He's one of my favorites.

Kurt Kuden said...

Steve, FUH! luckily you realized! Thank you very very much! Ok steve, it s re-editted! Your comment is very much appreciated. ;-)

You know Pete Teo? Wow! Cool! I have heard a few of his songs, and they are really good. Eventhough his music is commercially-produced, but it is still quite different from mainstream music of Malaysia, so not many people do appreciate it.

It is one of few problems in local music industry, which has been monopolized by certain people. But luckily, few stars and few good music able to stand out! So no wonder if foreigners appreciate Pete Teo's music more than local people.

by the way, i am finishing your Chapter 16. Cool!

toybesh! said...

u shud put the title the nasi lemak thief instead

Kurt Kuden said...

Toy, haha! pity her. or the day i lost my nasi lemak..

steve on the slow train said...

Kurt, I learned about Pete Teo on a radio program called "The World." He's not well-known in the U.S., but seems to be very popular in Japan and Korea. There's a lot of Chinese influence in his music, obviously, but he once had a club in Kuala Lumpur called "No Black Tie," which featured performers from Chinese, Malay, and Tamil backgrounds.

Someday I'd love to visit Malaysia. My daughter Sarah is married to an Indian (from the Bombay area), though they live in the U.S. So I have some ties to South Asia. Maybe someday, when and if we have the money.

Kurt Kuden said...

Steve, I have never been to 'No Black Tie' but I do heard about it. Yup, and most of artists that I knew performing there, come with good music. By the way, 'Mr Manager' is one of Malaysia artiste manager. He is managing one of the biggest Malaysia female singers, Ning Baizura. She have performed at No Black Tie and plus, she really can sing!

Steve! Of course you should visit Malaysia! There is sunshine all year around here. Hehe.. And i am sure this is one that is extremely good value for money to travel in. ;-) Come and visit Malaysia.

Patry Francis said...

I love Asian foods, and I bet nasi lemak is wonderful. Tell us more about it...Is it spicy? Vegetarian or meat?

Kurt Kuden said...

Patry, thank you very much for visit and your comment! I do admire your writing! Well Patry, nasi lemak can be considered our national food.

Nasi Lemak literally means 'rice in cream'. The rice is soaked rich in coconut cream and then the mixture steamed. The fragrance is catalyzed by screwpine leaves and lemon grass.

It comes with anchovies, fresh cucumber slices and hot spicy sauce (sambal). And the sambal can be contained with everything from chicken to beef to cuttlefish! You should try it.

 
Blogger design by suckmylolly.com